Introduction to the course
Theoretical aspects of Quantum Chromodynamics, the theory of strong interactions.
Objective: Basic knowledge of perturbative and non-perturbative aspects of Quantum Chromodynamics sufficient to be able to perform simple calculations and to understand modern publications on this research field.
Content: QCD Lagrangian and Feynman rules; running QCD coupling and asymptotic freedom; parton model; Altarelli-Parisi equations; jets; basic processes; experimental tests at lepton and hadron colliders; lattice gauge theories; current algebra.
Lectures notes and addons.
|25 FEB||AL||Introduction to Colour||notes||ref 1,3||exercises|
|4 MAR||AB||Classical QCD Lagrangian, gauge invariance, color algebra||notes||ref 1||exercises|
|11 MAR||AB||Quantum QCD Lagrangian, gauge fixing, Feynman rules||notes||ref 1||exercises|
|18 MAR||AL||Renormalization of QCD||notes||ref 1||exercises|
|25 MAR||AL||Renormalization of QCD - Beta function||notes||ref 1||exercises|
|1 APR||AB||Renormalization Group Equations, asymptotic freedom||notes||ref 1||exercises|
|15 APR||AL||e+ e- to hadrons||notes||ref 1,2,3||exercises|
|22 APR||AL||Deep Inelastic Scattering||notes||ref 3,2,1||exercises|
|29 APR||AL||Deep Inelastic Scattering||notes||ref 3,2,1||exercises|
|6 MAY||AB||Drell-Yan||notes||ref 2,4,5||exercises|
|20 MAY||AB||Infrared and collinear singularities in QCD||notes||ref 6||exercises|
|27 MAY||AB||Hadronic final states: jets, event shapes etc.||notes||ref 1,3||exercises|
|3 JUN||AL||Parton Showers, Hadronization, Underlying Event||notes||ref 3,7||exercises|
Bibliography - references
- Foundations of Quantum Chromodynamics: An Introduction to Perturbative Methods in Gauge Theories, by Taizo Muta
- QCD and Collider Physics by R.K. Ellis, W.J. Stirling and B.R. Webber
- Quantum Chromodynamics: High Energy Experiments and Theory by Günther Dissertori, Ian G. Knowles, Michael Schmelling
- Handbook of Perturbative QCD, by the CTEQ collaboration
- Large perturbative corrections to the Drell-Yan process in QCD by Altarelli, Ellis and Martinelli
- Factorization of Hard Processes in QCD by John C. Collins, Davison E. Soper, George Sterman
- Dressing the partons and Kingdoms of Modelling by F. Krauss (from the Pauli center for theoretical studies Lecture series on "The Infrared Structure of Gauge Theories")